Tchoukball Rules (a no contact sport)
SPIRIT POINTS: An integral part of all the sports that the Kingston Sport & Social Club offers. It is based on the primary focus of the KSSC, which is sportsmanship and to have FUN...NOT on competitive and aggressive sport.
1. Equipment/Set-Up: Equipment will be provided on-site at every game.
2. Game Time/Default: Please arrive 15 minutes early so that you can start your games on time. Games are 55 minutes in length, without a break at halftime. Please agree on one person to act as timekeeper. Teams are comprised of seven (7) players with a minimum of two (2) women. A default will occur if any team cannot field a squad by 15 minutes after the official start time. A team can play with a minimum of 4 people, as long as two (2) of the players are women and two (2) are men. Captains may agree to waive the rules regarding minimum people but this should be decided before the game starts. IF IT IS AGREED THAT THE GAME COUNTS, IT COUNTS!
3. General Rules:
The purpose of the game is to throw the ball at one of the tchouks and to have it land on the ground before any opponent can catch it. Each team can shoot at either tchouk. If the ball touches the ground the attacking team scores a point.
The attacking team has a maximum of three passes they can make before aiming for the tchouk.
Once a point is scored, the player must throw the ball in-bounds from behind the base line, next to the tchouk where the point was scored from.
The defensive team must place itself to catch the ball rebounding from the tchouk before it touches the ground. If they catch the ball before it touches the ground, no point is scored, and the defensive team now becomes the attacking team.
4. Penalties (ball goes automatically to the opposing team, from the spot where the penalty was committed):
A pass MUST be made before throwing the ball at the tchouk when ball possession is switched from one team to another.
5. Forbidden zone: In front of each rebound surface there is a semi-circle with a three-metre radius – this is called the forbidden zone. A player cannot be in this zone unless he has just shot or passed the ball (you must shoot and get out of the forbidden zone right away). The ball must touch the floor outside of the forbidden zone to score a point.
6. Rough Play: ANY ROUGH OR PHYSICAL PLAY MAY RESULT IN IMMEDIATE EXPULSION FROM FURTHER LEAGUE PLAY AND MAY RESULT IN LIFETIME LEAGUE EXPULSION. PLEASE SEE THE KSSC POLICY SHEET FOR OUR OFFICIAL POLICY ON THIS SUBJECT. It is recognized that incidental contact between players is inevitable – however, all players should go out of their way to avoid creating an unsafe play. This rule supersedes all others.